Friday, August 29, 2008

who's the tannest lass in dublin?? its ME, its ME :)

i am really enjoying dublin. i won't even go into my trip over here b/c it kind of annoyed me. well, i guess i'll go into it a little bit.... ;) i flew on ryan air which is europe's version of southwest. so my flight was super cheap which was great. but the airport that it flies out of in paris is in BFE so i booked a hostel/guesthouse place the night before because you had to take a 2 hr-ish bus ride to the airport and since i was leaving early i didn't want to miss my flight (since i don't have the best of luck it seems). so when i got there i paid WAY too much for a freakin taxi to the guesthouse (but could have asked the toursist office to call my guesthouse for me and they'd come pick me up, but didn't know that till afterwards...). but once i got there it was TOTALLY worth it! it was a bed and breakfast run by this super cute and nice french couple. it was an old farm house that they rehab'd and made a bed and breakfast. i got to sleep in a king size bed which rocked! and just relaxed the rest of the night. it was so seriene and just what i needed :) then getting to dublin after that was a sinch. and thanks to the time change i basically got there 30 minutes after i left paris, so talk about not losing any time! so i found my hostel after asking several people who - SPOKE ENGLISH!! its so nice that everyone speaks english here. and so far i have actually been able to understand people :) my favorite is listening to kids talk. i love hearing different accents on kiddos for some reason. and i bet you were asking yourself, "self, i wonder which european accents jodi likes best?" well, let me tell you :) my top 2 favs are the french accent because it sounds so elegant and smooth to me and i also love the irish accent of course. my least fav is the italian accent b/c for some reason where they put emphasis on words gets on my nerves. haha :)

ok, enough of that tangent.... so once i arrived at my hostel and climbed about 5 flights of tiny stairs to get to my 10 bed bunk i busted out my map and figured out where all i wanted to go. and i made a list of all the places that seemed cool to see (b/c i'm just organized like that) :) then i may or may not have taken a little cat nap - sarah, i figure you'd get a kick out of that ;) then i headed out to go to an art museum that was free. it was pretty cool i must say. it was mainly impressionist art which i like much better than a lot of art that i've seen thus far. i much prefer abstract art as opposed to painting of people who all seem to have the same face and eyes (if that makes sense). there were even a couple monet paintings so that was cool. then i went grocery shopping and i bought stuff to make none other than A GREEK SALAD!! yay :) sarah and i really went crazy eating a bunch of straight CRAP so now i am trying to detox myself a little.... we'll see how that goes. i mean, i am gonna have fish and chips at some point just to say i had them. and who knows, maybe i'll actually like it.... even though i'm not a fan of fish, other than sushi. while i was eating my salad in the hostel kitchen i met a girl from chicago who is studying over here so that was neat. i may go to a pub tonight with them if i see them around the hostel when i get back..... but since yesterday was just a day to get acclimated to the city i chilled for the most part. it was great walking around b/c even though the sun only came out here and there it wasn't cold. and there was a pleasant breeze the whole time. so on the theme of "chill" i decided to go see a movie :) i saw the dark night and it was seriously sooo good i thought! so i recommend it highly to everyone :) i was walking back to my hostel around 11ish and i've got to say that i didn't really feel all that safe. so that might be the one major downfall of flying solo. i might not venture out too much once it gets really dark.... or maybe i'll just hold my mase with the safety off now that i don't have captain kurate to protect me :)

q-money......... i miss you immensely!!!!! and i'm so sorry that you have a cold :( i am having a good time so far, but its weird and much more quiet to be by myself. but its funny because when i have been walking around i feel like i have a hop to my step. and i realize that what i'm about to say makes me look like a goobtard but we all knew that already so i'm gonna say it anyways :) but sometimes when i'm walking around just looking around, taking in the sights, and smiling like a moron at people, i feel like i'm in a movie. hahaha! and that happens especially if i'm listening to my iPod b/c then its like a soundtrack to the movie that i'm in. hahaha. and i sort of feel like meg ryan when she's walking around NYC in you've got mail :)

alrighty, i am headed to a church right now and then i am gonna start knocking out the rest of the sights that i want to see from my list. one of which includes a couple beautiful parks that are great for picnicing. so i'll go there and read sense and sensibility and continue loving life :)

7 comments:

sarah lynn said...

yay...i'm the first to comment! i miss you too jods! i'm so happy to hear that you made it safely to dublin and are enjoying the sexy accents! i'm sorry i'm not there to tell you when it's time to get your mase out ;) i can't wait to do laundry today...all the loads i want! ok, miss you!!

ps try some irish beer! ya gotta...

Jack Jackson said...

Do they drink "Irish Car Bombs" in Ireland?

If you happen to make it to any smallish village (especially on the coast), indeed soak up the atmosphere in a local pub in the evening. Good food, too.

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog, Jodi...even though I'm sooooo glad to have Sarah back, I want you to know that I am keeping you in my prayers since you are traveling alone. Glad you're having fun...visit a castle for me! maybe some day..........

Jack Jackson said...

It's a long road to Tipperary, don'tcha know?

Before you leave Ireland, find an Irish music fest to attend. Ask the hostel folks where you can hear somebody singing "Danny Boy". An authentic Irish singer will make you cry.

Google this for one example:
danny-boy-sung-by-the-irish-tenors.html

Jack Jackson said...

Or, Google this YouTube:

CLICK HERE FOR "DANNY BOY" A CAPELLA HARMONY

Anonymous said...

Hey sweetie, so great you got to sleep in a REAL bed! I can totally viz your movie trailer in my mind! Obviously a chik-flik w a few tears but a happy ending! It's wonderful to hear you have a hop in your step....it's called a "jig". ha And, hey, do they really dance like Lord of the Dance over there somewhere or is that just American we-think-its-irish silliness? If you need another book while there, pick up Rosamonde Pilcher's The Shell Seekers, my fave of all time, set in Ireland. xo

Anonymous said...

i posted one new pic for you in the magnum cg album. me and da boyz